NetGalley

  • Professional Reader
  • 2016 NetGalley Challenge
  • Reviews Published
  • 100 Book Reviews

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Surviving the Angel of Death: The Story of a Mengele Twin in Auschwitz by Eva Mozes Kor

This is true story of a set of twins who were unbelievably able to survive the horrors of Auschwitz and the terrible experiments conducted by Dr. Mengele. I had heard of Dr. Mengele but had not seen much written about his experiments. I had never read a story written by one of his subjects. This story was unique in that it presented the story from childhood through the present day. So many Holocaust stories end in the death of the subject. This story is still being told by Ms. Kor, even today.  Although the twins were presented with some special treatment, they were also experimented on in terrible life altering ways. As this story was geared toward young adults, it was handled very gingerly and was child appropriate. Eva Mozes Kor is such an amazing woman and her story is life changing. You will wonder how in the world she had the strength to survive. Her story is laid bare for everyone to feel, hear, see, and experience. The writing does a wonderful job of letting you live through Ms. Kor and her life story. I have read many Holocaust stories but this one, for me, stands above all the others.

Ms. Kor puts a focus on forgiveness. She found it to be an important part of her healing process, and highly recommends it to anyone and everyone who will listen. This is an important story that needs to be read. It is highly recommended, and a wonderful story to explore as a family.

My children and I were lucky enough to hear Ms. Kor speak at Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana. Her story inspired me to forgive someone in my life. I must admit a huge weight was lifted from my chest. I have never looked back, or regretted my decision to forgive. I can highly recommend that if you ever have the chance to hear Ms. Kor speak, and/ or to meet her, you must do it. Your life will never be the same. She presents her story with a sense of compassion and humor that you will find almost unbelievable. She is an amazing and inspiring woman whose life has been filled with many tragedies. She has never given up, and will inspire you to never give up.



To find out more about Eva Mozes Kor and the other surviving Mengele twins you should visit:
candlesholocaustmuseum.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment