NetGalley

  • Professional Reader
  • 2016 NetGalley Challenge
  • Reviews Published
  • 100 Book Reviews

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Book Review: Girl in the Blue Coat



Anyone who has seen my Goodreads list knows that I love books about history, and especially about The Holocaust. So, I was automatically drawn to this story. I had a few issues with the story itself. Hanneke was hard to like. I don't really know how to explain why. I realize that she is not Jewish and probably does not have a full grasp of what is going on around her. That really does not excuse the fact that she is not very emotionally invested in her job. She almost seems emotionless as these horrors go on around her. She reacts, but her reactions are not as realistic as I would expect from a teen who lost someone she loved.
I always love a mystery and a twist is normally welcome, but I didn't really enjoy the way the author threw all the twists in so close together. It made me ponder the believability of the whole novel. I was overwhelmed and didn't find all the twists realistic.
I did like the ending and thought things were wrapped up nicely.  All in all just okay. The fact that the story was a quick read helped immensely, as I am not sure I would have been able to finish a longer storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment