NetGalley

  • Professional Reader
  • 2016 NetGalley Challenge
  • Reviews Published
  • 100 Book Reviews

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Movie Review: The Conjuring 2

I was lucky enough to get free passes to a pre-showing of this movie. I must say it is pretty cool being one of the first to get to see a movie. I took my teenage son with me. He is almost as obsessed with movies as I am. The Conjuring 2 revolves around paranormal investigators Lorraine and Ed Warren. The couple is played by the original actors from the first Conjuring movie, which is a nice continuation. This film is the story of the Enfield Poltergeist which happened in 1977, shortly after the Warren's became famous for their investigation of The Amityville  Murders.
The story revolves around an eleven year old girl named Janet. Her family begins experiences odd things throughout their home. They contact the church and the police for help. Eventually the church reaches out to the Warrens to represent the church while investigating. Ed and Lorraine travel to England for a three day investigation.

Personally, I did not like this story as much as the first Conjuring storyline. There were a few good jump scares. The movie was certainly tension filled and eerie. The film starts off a little too slow. There are actually several different storylines tied into this film. It is actually a bit confusing keeping all of these cases straight. There were several screams and jumps throughout the theater and the audience did clap at the end of the film. Make sure you stay for the ending as you will see pictures and hear audio from the real life case this film is based on.

My son said it was the scariest movie he had ever seen. He is still talking about it today after watching it last night. He was scared to go outside by himself and freaked out when the car lights stayed on after we returned from the theater. For me the movie was good, but not great. I will watch it again, but for me it was not as good as the first film. I had a hard time sympathizing with Janet. The film leaned you toward believing that she may have invited the problem by playing with a ouija board. I also had a rough time watching the movie as so many scenes were repeats from other horror films I have watched. If you want to know what I am referring to please scroll below for details. I do not want to publish spoilers without giving advance notice.

****Thank you AMC Stubs for providing me with 2 free passes to this pre-screening****

Spoilers to Follow:  Scroll below to continue.....Stop reading if you do not want to read spoilers!!!



















































Spoilers Ahead:






















There were several films that were basically copied in major scenes  throughout this film. I will highlight the scenes I am thinking of.

1. The Tent--------The Sixth Sense  
2.  The Rolling Fire Truck---Poltergeist
3.  Lorraine traveling into the past to talk to the old man-------Insidious
4.  Janet's possession-------The Exorcist
5.  The Scary Nun------ A Nightmare on Elm Street 3


If you have seen the film, What do you think? Are you reminded of the same films, or am I crazy? Did I miss any films you were reminded of?

No comments:

Post a Comment