NetGalley

  • Professional Reader
  • 2016 NetGalley Challenge
  • Reviews Published
  • 100 Book Reviews

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Armchair BEA Day Four-Beyond Borders

Beyond the Borders It’s time to step outside your comfort zone, outside your borders, or outside of your own country or culture. Tell us about the books that transported you to a different world, taught you about a different culture, and/or helped you step into the shoes of someone different from you. What impacted you the most about this book? What books would you recommend to others who are ready or not ready to step over the line? In essence, let’s start the conversation about diversity and keep it going! 

What an Awesome topic. Reading is so Wonderful because it can introduce us to other places and cultures and people while we are still sitting in our chair. Living in a very small place that doesn't have much racial, or religious diversity, I turn to books at many times to learn the viewpoint of others. I haven't ever traveled out of the United States so I travel through books. One of my favorites is 13 Little Blue Envelopes. It is a light, fun story and great for a rainy day.

13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)

When I think of what I have read of other religions I must admit that I find polygamy fascinating. Having grown up totally different from their beliefs I find their stories enriching. My favorite real glimpse into polygamy would be Church of Lies by Flora Jessop. She is such an inspiration.

Church of Lies

Growing up in rural Indiana I have seen and met several Amish families. BUT that doesn't mean I have a grasp on their life. I probably have more misconceptions then real truths floating in my mind. To get a beginning look into Amish beliefs and lifestyles I recommend reading Amish Cooks Across America by Lovina Eicher. Yes it's a cookbook but it also contains where more then recipes. You should check it out, and maybe try a recipe while you are at it!

Amish Cooks Across America: Recipes and Traditions from Maine to Montana

What is life like in jail? Did you ever wonder who gets convicted of drug crimes and how the system works? If you want to get a glimpse behind the bars I recommend Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman. It is a bare bones although "sympathetic" look into serving time.

Orange Is the New Black: My Time in a Women's Prison

What is the real aftermath of rape? What is it like to be mentally confused and depressed and angry? I highly recommend Her by Christa Parravani. No, this is not all butterflies and rainbows. There are real emotions here, and some that certain people may find too strong. I will never forget this story and I feel that reading it could bring new perspectives to many out there.

Her: A Memoir

My last recommendation is for The Midwife by Jennifer Worth. This one will give you a glimpse into the past. Life in London in a home full of nuns can be quite comical and interesting. This is such a diverse glimpse into so many lives. It will make you laugh and cry and cringe. A good mix and the story of an interesting life.

The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times

What book do you think of when you hear the topic Beyond Borders? Are there any that you recommend to me? I love to read your comments. Please join me for tomorrow's topic.

3 comments:

  1. What a great way to break the topic down into manageable chunks. So many good reads here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks West Virginia Red! And thanks for being a commenter this week. I appreciate you reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me I need to read The Last Little Blue Envelope!

    ReplyDelete