NetGalley

  • Professional Reader
  • 2016 NetGalley Challenge
  • Reviews Published
  • 100 Book Reviews

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Had A Hard Time Reading For Various Reasons

See all the Top Ten Tuesday posts at: http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

10. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
      Before I Fall
I just couldn't get into it. I have tried to read it several times but have never been able to get by the first few chapters.

 9.  The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson
      The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
I think this one had to do with the language factor. I just couldn't get past the writing itself. I felt lost in a world I didn't belong in. I loved the movie, but can't do the book.

 8.  The Returned by Jason Mott
      The Returned
This is one that started out with a bang and kept rolling, until about the middle. The book fell apart for me right where it should have been picking up. I loved Mott's writing, but for me this storyline veered too far away from the beginning and couldn't recover.

 7.  Joyland by Stephen King
      Joyland
I love Stephen King!! I do not love this story. This felt like the perfect setup for awesome scares, a theme park, carnies, clowns, ghosts, the perfect setting!! This should have been one of my favorites. I barely finished it. If it wasn't Stephen King I wouldn't have bothered trying to get through. This was a huge disappointment for me. The perfect setting with no scares, SIGH!

 6.  Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys
      Out of the Easy
The main character was hard to like. The story was depressing. The writing is well done but the story itself did not hold up to scrutiny.

 5. Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake
     Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)
I LOVED Anna Dressed in Blood. I HATED Girl of Nightmares. Anna was missing from most of this story, as were the scares and spooks.  I sort of felt like I was reading someone's grocery list, I know sad, but true.

 4. The Lampshade by Mark Jacobson
      The Lampshade: A Holocaust Detective Story from Buchenwald to New Orleans
This is a wonderful book. The subject matter is touchy and for some I am sure stomach-turning. These are truths that need to be known but are very hard to read about.

 3. The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis
     The Twelve Tribes of Hattie
Super Depressing! Super Slow! Super Disappointing! Oprah was wrong!

 2. I Got This by Jennifer Hudson
     I Got This: How I Changed My Ways and Lost What Weighed Me Down
Jennifer Hudson is an Awesome singer. She should really stick to singing. She is so arrogant that you almost gag while reading this. If you want to hear her praise herself, jump right in. If you have manners, you will end up insulted.

 1. A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick
    A Reliable Wife
WAY too much sex! Far too descriptive! Not my style!

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed OUT OF THE EASY. I did enjoy the author's other book more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the variety on your list. :) I haven't read any of these, and I doubt I'll be checking any of them out any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads-up on all these books--I would not have guessed that Joyland would be so...not scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to start A Reliable Wife but I couldn't get through the first chapter. I don't have a problem with the sex but the first chapter was boring. Oh well!

    Sorry for the late reply! I was on vacation!
    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete